Optometry Courses After 12th: Optometry courses focus on studying topics related to the eye and its various connected structures. The professionals are advised to examine the eye for disorders, abnormalities, and diseases. It is professionals that are for providing treatments and remedies to all eye-related diseases.
Students that wish to take optometry courses should have passed Class 12th or 10th from a recognized board. The minimum mark required is 50% from the science stream. Some top universities require scores from state and national-level examinations for admission. The tests include BVP EYECET, AIIMS PG, and NEET.
Optometry courses are offered in diploma, certificate, and degree formats and range from six months to four years. The opportunity to enroll in the optometry courses is available to candidates who have recently completed their senior secondary education.
Some top optometry courses after 12th grade are BSc in Optometry, Certificate in Optometry, and Bachelor of Optometry, to mention a few.
What are Optometry Courses After 12th? Optometry is belong to eye treatment. generally, This field course is based on visual, Optical Symptoms, and many more. After 12th, Students can pursue these field courses at graduation, Diploma and Certificate level. BSc Optometry, Diploma in optometry, and Advanced Certificate in optometry are the best programs in this stream.
The online optometry courses after 12th grade are short and easy to understand, and The Online optometry course duration Varies from 10 hours to 12 Weeks. Common courses include Ophthalmology Optometry, Physical and Optics, Visual Optics, Geometric Optics, Dispensing Optics, Microbiology, Pathology, etc.
Graduates of this course are in high demand by companies such as Lenskart, Vision Express, Titan Eye Plus, Vasan Eye Care, and Specsmakers Optician. The Companies and Hospitals offer high and good salary packages after completing Optometry Course after 12th. The Optometry Course salary after completion is expected to be INR 3,40,000 with experience and good skills, the salary will increase to INR 12,00,000.
Following the completion of optometry courses, individuals such as optometrists, optometrists, professors, general practitioners, vision consultants, ophthalmologists, and ophthalmologists can become optometrists. Those who are interested in a career in optometry have the option of choosing from a wide range of programs offered by universities.
The article ahead provides a detailed description of each of them so that you will be able to make an informed choice. In the following sections, you can learn more about the admissions process, eligibility requirements, entrance exams, and universities that specialize in optometry with a focus on optometry education.
Optometry Courses After 12th Highlights
|Course||Optometry After 12th|
|Admission Procedure||Counseling After Entrance Test|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2.5 to 8 Lacs (Annually)|
|Course Level||UG, Diploma & Certificate|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Top Institutes||AIIMS, DU, CMC, etc.|
|Minimum Qualification Required||Must pass 10+2 from any recognized educational Board|
|Total Course Fee||INR 2 – 6 Lacs|
|Areas of Employment||Government/Private Optometry Hospitals, Clinics, and Orthopedic Optic Manufacturing Stations|
|Job Positions||Optician, Eye Doctor, Teacher, etc.
All About OPTOMETRY?
As already stated, optometry is an eye healthcare profession. This field mainly deals with eye care. This field includes diagnosing eye illness disorders, prescribing lenses/glasses, treating patients (in some situations), and referring them to an ophthalmologist/relevant doctor (if required).
An ophthalmologist is an expert in treating the eyes after completing their MBBS degree. By contrast, optometrists do not have the same level of education as eye physicians. Optometrists can diagnose many ocular problems. If the patient needs surgery or advanced care, the nurse should refer them to a doctor as soon as possible. An optometrist can provide many treatments to a patient, including lenses, spectacles, or minor treatments.
Patients with optical defects in the eyes are one example. Uncorrected vision can be corrected by an optometrist using lenses or eyeglasses. An optometrist must refer a serious condition requiring clinical care to a doctor!
It is related to the eye care and visual system in the medical profession. An optometrist diagnoses eye diseases and vision problems and determines lenses that benefit the eyes. An optometrist can also diagnose ocular diseases; an optometrist is not considered an eye doctor. In this modern world, several people are suffering from eye diseases. The number of eye patients is increasing day by day. Therefore, the need for optometrists is also growing.
Optometry Courses After 12th Admission
Admission to optometry courses after 12th grade regularly begins at reputable Indian universities. The central, private, and other approved universities accept paper-based (offline) or online application modes, including NIMS University, Chandigarh University, Galgotias University, and more.
However, the conventional method of admission is less frequently used for optometry programs in contemporary universities. The institutes increasingly use digital or online methods to admit students to optometry programs. Both admission forms require a fee, which must be paid when the admission form is submitted. The registration cost for programs offered in optometry ranges from INR 300 to INR 1,800.
The merit list governs admission to optometry courses after 12th grade. The qualifying scores and results from the entrance exam determine the merit list. To keep their candidacy from being cancelled, candidates who have been chosen or shortlisted must finish the admissions process before the deadline.
Optometry Courses After 12th Application Form
Various universities will soon release the application form for admission to Optometry Courses. Students can fill out the application form by visiting the official website or the admission portal provided by the university. Educational details are required to fill out the application form like Name, Date of Birth, 10th and 12th Class grades, etc. All the details must be in proper format and according to the educational certificates.
Eligibility Criteria for Optometry Courses After 12th
As soon as a student has graduated from 12th grade, he or she must check the eligibility requirements that a respected university asks of them before applying to Optometry courses. The majority of institutions require their candidates to have completed the 12th grade, while having medical as one of their major subjects, as a general requirement. An applicant may even be asked to provide the results of their entrance exam to some institutions.
- To enroll in UG Optometry courses after 12th grade, Candidates must have Physics, Chemistry & Biology as the main subjects in 10+2 are the eligibility of Optometry Course.
- To enroll in UG optometry courses after 12th grade, one must study Physics, Chemistry & Biology as the main subjects in 10+2.
- Some Institutes conduct entrance exams to provide admission to optometry courses after 12th.
- It is advised to students that minimum score criteria should be fulfilled.
Best Optometry Courses After 12th
Numerous optometry courses after 12th grade are offered in private and government colleges and universities. If you want an exciting growing career, the below-given optometry courses can help them achieve your standard destination. Colleges and universities in India offer three types of optometry courses after 12th grade.
- Certificate Courses
- Diploma Courses
- Bachelor’s Degree Courses
Many universities offer Diplomas in Optometry at the UG level. Doctor in medicine Optometry degree courses to the pupil. The university also provides many PG courses.
- Diploma in Optometry
- Diploma in Ophthalmic Tech
- Doctor of Medicine in Optometry
- MSc in Optometry
- B.Sc in Ophthalmic Tech
- MS in Ophthalmology
- PG Diploma in Optometry
Optometry Courses after 12th without NEET
There are many eye courses after 12th without neet Such as B.Sc in Ophthalmic Techniques, BSc Optometry, B. Optom, Diploma in Ophthalmic Assistant, Certificate Course in Ophthalmic Technician, etc. Students can opt for these courses without giving entrance examinations.
B.Sc Ophthalmic Techniques students enroll with this course called eye specialist. After completing the courses in India, students will have an adequate understanding of various diseases and conditions, with the right strategies for curing them. Students who want to take admission to this course candidates must get 50% of their marks in class 12th, with PCB. It is an undergraduate course with four years of duration. There are various universities offering this course such as AIIMS, IMTR- Kolkata, APMI- Ambala, etc.
Diploma in Ophthalmic Assistant –The Diploma in Ophthalmic Assistant program is designed for students who support ophthalmologists during their diagnosis and treatment of patients. After completing the diploma in Ophthalmic Assistants students will have lucrative career opportunities. The eligibility criteria for a diploma in ophthalmic Assistant students have to get a minimum of 50% marks in class 12, with PCB. The duration of this course is 2-year years. There are various institutions offering diplomas in Ophthalmic Assistant, Kerala Paramedical Council- Thiruvananthapuram, Periyar University- Salem, etc.
List of Optometry Courses After 12th
One of these programs is optometry. Various universities and colleges offer optometry courses after 12th grade in our country. Before going into the details of the optometry courses, let us now look at the field. Some subjects in the bachelor of optometry course are listed below:
- Basic Biochemistry
- Visual Optics
- Ophthalmic Optics
- Optometric Instruments
- Ocular Microbiology
- Mechanical Optics
Bachelor of Optometry (BOPTOM)
A bachelor’s degree in optometry is one of the most highly valued and vital courses in our country today. The bachelor of optometry program consists of a three-year undergraduate program, and the duration of the program is three years in length. After completing the educational program, the student must participate in an internship for a period of one year. After completing this internship program, the student will be able to declare themselves qualified optometrists.
|Approx. Fee/Year||INR 50000-1.5 Lakhs|
Eligibility For Bachelor of Optometry
- Is most recognized and recognized optometry degree in India is the Bachelor of Optometry (B.Optom.).
- It is a 4-year UG degree program. 3-semester college program After completing the education program, students must complete a 1-year internship. An optometrist is only certified after finishing an internship!
- Students must be at minimum 17 years old whenever the training Starts. 10+2 Sciences curriculum comprising Physicist, Biology, and English. The required percentage is 40%.
- Admission is based on the qualifying examination and EYECET/relevant entrance test scores. Some colleges provide direct admission.
- The minimum requirements to apply for this bachelor’s degree program are 12th with Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and English as major subjects and a minimum of 45% marks.
- The candidate must be over 17 years of age at the time of the start of the course.
- The admission process includes the candidates’ marks, and certain universities and colleges have made their entrance tests.
- Candidates will have to pass those entrance tests to acquire admission.
BSc Optometry is a UG-level course with eye and vision care learning. The Eligibility for BSc Optometry Course is 12th with Science Stream in the main Subjects Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. BSc Optometry course duration is 3 years. This bachelor of science course is available at multiple universities. This course teaches students how to manage eye conditions and vision systems. After that BSc Optometry, students can apply as professors. Ophthalmic Assistant, Examiner. Orthoptics specialist etc.
|Approx. Fee/Year||INR 20,000-70,000|
Eligibility For BSc in Optometry
- 12th Passed with Main Subjects Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and also English as a major subject with a minimum of 45% marks is the Optometry course eligibility for BSc.
- The minimum requirements are 12th with Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and English as major subjects and a minimum of 45% marks.
- The student’s age must be over 17 years at the start of the course.
- The admission process includes the marks obtained by the candidate.
- Certain universities and colleges have made their entrance tests. Candidates have to pass those entrance tests to get admission. Certain institutions in our country offer direct admissions also.
Syllabus of BSc Optometry
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Geometrical Optics (Optics I)||Physical Optics (Optics II)|
|Physiology (General)||Physiology (Ocular)|
|Anatomy (General)||Anatomy (Ocular)|
|Biochemistry (General & Ocular)||Environment & Ecology|
|Professional Communication in English||Computer Fundamentals & Programming|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Visual Optics (Optics III)||Visual Optics (Optics IV)|
|Lighting & the Eye||Clinical Refraction I|
|Medical pathology & Microbiology (General & Ocular)||Ophthalmic & Optical Instrumentation & Procedure II|
|Pharmacology||Ocular Disease I (Anterior Segment Disease)|
|Ophthalmic & Optical Instrumentation & Procedure I||Ophthalmic Lens & Dispensing Optics|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Binocular Vision & Ocular Mortality||
Systemic Condition & the eye
|Contact Lens I||
Public Health & Community Optometry
|Clinical Refraction II||Biostatistics|
|Ocular Disease II (Posterior & Neuro-eye Disease)||Contact Lens II|
|Low Vision Aids & Visual Rehabilitation||
Professional Practice Management
Diploma in Optometry
A diploma in optometry is a shorter way to graduate from an optometry course. Those Students that want to quick way to get Optometry jobs, can pursue a diploma in optometry after 12th and the Optometry course duration is a minimum of 3 years to graduate.
In our country, optometry diplomas are a very exciting and career-oriented program that offers a wide range of benefits. There are two years of study required to obtain a diploma in optometry. There are some institutions that offer this course, which lasts for a period of three years.
Diplomas in optometry are designed in such a way that they are job-oriented. Upon completion of this degree, a student is able to take admission further into a Bachelor’s program at the University.
|Approx. Fee/Year||INR 20,000-80,000|
|Duration||1 to 3 Years|
Eligibility Criteria For Diploma in Optometry
- To pursue the optometry diploma course need 50% marks in 10+2 from any recognized board. other requirements have to full fill course admission.
- Although certain institutions also offer admissions after the 10th.
- The aspirant must be over 17 years of age at the start of the course. Admission can be acquired based on the marks obtained by the aspirant.
Certificate in Optometry
This is a certificate optometry short course With a proper understanding of eye care. Certificate course in optometry after 12th can be obtained in a short duration of time. Contact lens benefits and effects, eyesight problems, etc., are some of the topics covered in the course, which has a minimum duration of one year. There are many institutions that offer admission to a certification programme after completing high school.
|Eligibility||10th Or 10+2|
|Approx Fee||INR 10,000-50,000|
|Duration||6- 12 months|
Eligibility For Certificate Courses in Optometry
- The duration of the certificate courses in optometry is 1 year. The required qualification for these certificate courses is 12th with 45% marks, though some institutions also offer after 10th.
- The candidate must be above 17 at the start of the course. There is no hard and fast rule to acquiring admission because many private and government institutes offer these certificate courses.
BOPTM Entrance Exams
Those students who want to pursue their career in optometry courses after the 12th have to give an entrance exam. Across India, several entrance exams were held. Also, some institutes provide admission based on their merit. The most famous institute to which students are eager to take admission is AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Sciences). Some top entrance exams to take admission in Optometry courses after 12th are listed below:
AIIMS Entrance Exam
GCET (Goa Common Entrance Test)
BVP EYECET (for Bharati Vidya Peeth)
Top Optometry Institutes in India
Optometry Courses after 12th grade in India have been considered to be in high demand. Eye vision studies are increasing daily, and this course has all the well-equipped lab technical tools for students to learn and practice. Spectacles, lenses, and eye solutions teach all the topics in the course that a student gets for learning.
Indian colleges are well established for optometry courses studies, and we are providing a list of a few colleges that are top and best, so have a look at this list:
|Jayoti Vidyapeeth Women’s University||Teerthanker Mahaveer University|
|Elite School of Optometry||NIMS University|
|IMT University,||SRHU Dehradun|
|Singhania University||Galgotias University|
Students for the optometry degree courses study these colleges are the best options for the selections. These are the Popular Colleges that provide students with good and quality optometry courses in India. If students find any difficulty, they can reach us by contacting us, and we will get back to you with accurate information.
Suggested University for Optometry Courses After 12th
|University Name||Fee (Approx.)||State|
|Maharaja Krishna Kumar Sinhji Bhavnagar University||30,000||Gujarat|
|Maharaja Sayajirao University Of Baroda||30,056||Gujarat|
|Manipal Academy of Higher Education||30,280||Karnataka|
|MS Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences||30,336||Karnataka|
Scope of Optometry Courses After 12th
Your career opportunities will be numerous once you complete your optometry training. Although we have provided you with all the relevant information about optometry programs, it is natural to feel apprehensive about whether that program will suit your strengths and interests. Here are some you might consider:
- Depending on where you work, you may work at either an eyecare clinic or an ophthalmic department of a hospital under or alongside an ophthalmologist.
- As well as practicing independently, you can also practice under supervision.
- You can also open your optical shop or a lens manufacturing unit.
- The optometry field provides excellent career opportunities. Unfortunately, people in our country do not take much interest in these courses. The dreams and needs of the people are too high, and to fulfill their dreams, they opt for other methods.
- Most students don’t choose optometry courses after 12th grade. Students consider them boring. They do not take much interest in these courses. But the field of optometry has its importance and value in this present world.
- The field of optometry does not make a person doctor correctly. But it is a career-oriented field. It promises a bright future for the students. Those who have taken optometry courses have vast opportunities.
- These days a considerable number of eye clinics have been set up. They offer great job opportunities to optometrists.
- Furthermore, there are ophthalmic departments in hospitals. They also announce jobs for optometrists. Working in a hospital’s ophthalmic department is not more than a blessing for the optometrist. Government hospitals provide a good salary with other benefits.
Optometry Courses After 12th Work
- Communication with Patient: Communicating is one of the most basic skills an optometrist can acquire. A perfect workup requires good communication with the patient. It is important to understand the patient’s needs to provide the best treatment.
- The Eye Examination: Vision is the most important sense in the human body. Among the functions of an optometrist is to assess the visual abilities of patients. Here we discuss the following essential components of how an optician functions.
- Visual Acuity: Both distance and near acuity should be assessed. The Snellen test is a widely used method of testing the central distance visual acuity conducted separately for each eye.
- Ocular Management by an Optometrist: Primary eye care specialists have significantly contributed to the diagnostic and therapeutic detection and treatment of refractive errors. It does so by involving referral and co-management in detecting and managing numerous vision-threatening ocular disorders.
There are a wide variety of options for treatment, including vision and eye tests, screening, supervision, treatment of eye problems, prescription, and availability of contact lenses, low vision aids, and medicines.
Optometry Courses after 12th Job Roles
The career opportunities available to optometrists are diverse. A person who has done this course can work under an Ophthalmologist in Eye Care clinics or hospitals’ ophthalmic departments.
You can also start your own optical shop as a career option. There are a few other forms of self-employment, such as opening a lens manufacturing business or a manufacturing facility for ophthalmic instruments.
As students complete optometry courses after 12th grade, they set a goal to take advantage of opportunities available for their career prospects. Check out the list and let us know how informative it was:
- Customer Care Associate
- Private Practitioner
- Trainee Optometrist
- Vision Consultant
- Optometry Researcher
Optometry Courses After 12th Offered Salary
- We understand that you would be waiting impatiently for the expected salary in this field. Well, the field of optometry is no doubt an exciting field.
- You can earn 20k to 50k by pursuing Optometry courses after 12th grade. But if you have a few years experience, you can make more than 30k to 35k in a month.
- Medical courses offer a variety of opportunities to pursue a successful career in optometry. It is an exciting and challenging career that offers self-awareness, flexibility, community respect, financial achievement, & unlimited opportunity.
- Optometrists in India earn Rs 25,305/- on average per month. To find out how much Optometrists earn in your area, you can filter by location. Optometrist Salary estimates are based on 218 salaries submitted anonymously by Optometrist employees.
Top Colleges List for Optometry Course After 12th
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi.
- Jawaharlal Institute of Medical Education and Research, Vellore.
- SRM Institute of Science & Technology, Chennai.
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh.
- Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi.
- JSS Medical College and Hospital, Mysore.
Optometry Courses After 12th FAQs
Question1. What are the Optometry Courses after 12th?
Ans. The prime focus of the Optometry courses after 12th grade is placed on the eyes’ structure, function, and care. Those who specialize in optometry are certified to examine, treat and care for eye-related disorders.
Question 2. What are the degree programs available under optometry courses after 12th?
Ans. BSc (Optometry) and B.Optom programs are available under degree programs. Both of these will take 4 years to be completed. For this, one will have to take the entrance test.
Question 3. What are the eligibility criteria for B.Sc in Optometry?
Ans. To opt for B.Sc in Optometry, one should have passed 10+2 with at least 40% marks from a renowned board.
Question 4. What are the job opportunities after completing a B.Optom degree?
Ans. B.Optom degree holders can become optometrists, ophthalmologists, medical assistants, sports vision consultants, opticians, examiners, etc.
Question 5. Is NEET required for an eye doctor?
Ans. No, There is no requirement to give NEET to become an eye doctor. Students can pursue optometry courses after 12th for an eye doctor.
Question 6. Can I do optometry courses after 12th grade without NEET?
Ans. NEET is not required for optometry. Optometrists must possess a Bachelor’s degree in optometry, a four-year course. The qualifying grades for this course are 50% in physics, chemistry, and biology from a recognized university.
Question 7. What is the salary for an optometry course after 12th grade?
Ans. Domiciliary optometrists earn roughly 18,000 – 22,000 INR per month at the entry-level. Professionals can expect to earn 30,000 INR per month after gaining experience in the field. A monthly salary of 50,000 INR is the highest in the profession.
Question 8. What is the qualification of an optometrist?
Ans. You need to have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as biology, chemistry, or physiology, which is preferred. The Bachelor’s degree will require 4 years for its completion.
Question 9. Is Optometry hard to study?
Ans. Optometry is one of the most challenging professions in the healthcare sector as it deals with the care of the eyes, which requires high skills.
Question 10. Is the optometry course have a career scope?
Ans. Yes, after optometry course completion candidate can work as a vision consultant, researcher, counseling, and others.
Be the first to leave a review.