Optometry Courses After 12th: Optometry courses cover the study of the eye and its various connected structures. The professionals are taught to examine the eye for eye disorders, eye abnormalities, and eye diseases. The professionals are responsible for providing treatments and remedies to all eye diseases.
Students that wish to take optometry courses should have passed Class 10 + 2 from a recognized board. The minimum mark required is 50% from the science stream. Some top universities require scores from state and national level examinations for admission. The tests include BVP EYECET, AIIMS PG, and NEET.
Some of the top optometry courses are BSc in Optometry, Certificate in Optometry, Bachelor of Optometry, and BOptom, to mention a few.
Optometry courses are options for grade 12 students, who can choose to take a certification, diploma, or a UG degree. The duration of the courses depends upon the level, diploma or certificate optometry courses take at least 12 months to complete, and the UG course takes a minimum of 4 years to complete.
Institutions such as Udemy, Coursera, and edx offer online optometry courses. The online optometry courses after 12th are short and easy to understand, and the duration of the online courses varies from 10 hours to 12 weeks. Common courses include Ophthalmology Optometry, Physical and Optics, Visual Optics, Geometric Optics, Dispensing Optics, Microbiology, Pathology, etc.
Graduates of this course are in high demand by companies such as Lenskart, Vision Express, Titan Eye Plus, Vasan Eye Care, and Specsmakers Optician. The companies offer high salary packages, and the expected salary package is INR 3,40,000. With experience and good skills, the salary will increase to INR 12,00,000.
The graduates of optometry courses after 12th can work as Opticians, Professors, General Doctors, Vision Consultants, Ophthalmologists, and Optometrists. Below is a slit of some of the common optometry Courses.
Optometry Courses After 12th Highlights
|Course||Optometry After 12th|
|Admission Procedure||Counselling After Entrance Test|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2.5 to 8 Lacs (annually)|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Top Institutes||AIIMS, DU, CMC, etc.|
|Minimum Qualification Required||Must pass 10+2 from any recognized educational Board|
|Total Course Fee||INR 2 to 6 Lacs|
|Areas of Employment||Government/Private Optometry Hospitals, Clinics, and Orthopedic Optic Manufacturing Stations|
|Job Positions||Optician, Eye Doctor, Teacher, etc.
What is OPTOMETRY?
As already stated, optometry is a eye healthcare profession. This field deals with eye care. This includes diagnosing eye illnesses disorders, prescribing lenses/glasses, treating patients (in some situations), and referring them to an ophthalmologist/relevant doctor (if required).
Ophthalmologists are eye doctors that specialise in eye treatment after obtaining MBBS! However, optometrists aren’t eyed doctors! Optometrists can diagnose ocular disorders. If the patient requires surgery or sophisticated care, the nurse must send the situation to a doctor. An optometrist can treat a patient using lenses, spectacles, or minor treatments.
Patients with optical defects in the eyes are one example. Uncorrected vision can be corrected by an optometrist using lenses or eyeglasses. An optometrist must refer a serious condition requiring clinical care to a doctor!
It is related to the eye care and visual system in the medical profession. An optometrist diagnoses eye diseases, and vision problems and determines lenses. An optometrist can also diagnose ocular diseases, and an optometrist is not considered an eye doctor. In this modern world, several people are suffering from eye diseases. The number of eye patients is increasing. The need for optometrists is also growing.
Optometry Courses After 12th
Optometry is the branch of science that deals with eyes study and different instruments associated with eyes. Optometry courses after 12th is one of the trending fields in today’s world as the uses of mobiles, computers, and TVs have increased, so the diseases and defects of eyes are growing. According to a survey, about 5% increase in the eye defect observed people last year. Many universities offer degree programs and courses to pupils at both PG and UG levels in the field of optometry. Admissions are granted to the pupils based on pupils’ marks in entry tests or qualifying exams.
- Our young students are not appropriately guided about the study courses. They do not have proper knowledge of new fields. They are unaware of current study courses, and they are misguided. There is a contradiction between parents and children in future study planning. Parents have their dreams for their children.
- They want something else for them. But students want to study in a different field. As a result, students do not take an interest in those courses. They do not struggle to achieve their goals. Consequently, students do not prosper in that particular field and fail to reach their desired destination.
- In this modern world, the healthcare sector is gaining more progress day by day. Many opportunities are being created in this field. Many study programs are being offered in the country in the healthcare sector.
- One of these programs is optometry. Optometry courses after 12th are being offered in our country by various universities and colleges. Before going into the details of the optometry courses, let us now take a look at the optometry field.
Optometry Courses After 12th: Eligibility Criteria
For admission to Optometry courses after 12th, students require to check the minimum eligibility criteria that the respected university has asked for. As a general requirement, most institutions ask for students who have completed their 12th class while having medical as one of their main subjects. Some institutions will even ask for the applicant’s entrance exam scores.
- For enrolled in UG optometry courses after 12th, one must study Physics, Chemistry & Biology as main subjects in 10+2.
- Some Institutes conduct entrance exams to provide admission to optometry courses.
- It is advised to students that minimum score criteria should be fulfilled.
List of Optometry Courses After 12th
B.Sc OPTOMETRY (B.OPTOM.)
- Its most recognized and recognized optometry degree in India has been the Bachelor of Optometry (B.Optom.).
- It is a 4-year UG degree programme. 3 semester college programme After completing the education programme, students must complete a 1-year internship. An optometrist is only certified after finishing an internship!
- Students must be at minimum 17 years old whenever the training Started. 10+2 Sciences curriculum comprising Physicist, Biology and English. The required percentage is 40%.
- Admission is based on qualifying examination and EYECET/relevant entrance test scores. Some colleges provide direct admission.
Diploma in Optometry
A diploma in optometry is a shorter way to graduate from an optometry course. Students that want a quicker way to optometry jobs can take a Diploma in Optometry, and the course takes a minimum of 3 years to graduate.
Best Optometry Courses After 12th
Numerous optometry courses are being offered in private and government colleges and universities. If you want an exciting and growing career, these optometry courses can help them achieve your standard destination. In our country, three types of optometry courses are being offered in colleges and universities.
- Certificate Courses
- Diploma Courses
- Bachelor’s Degree Courses
Many universities offer Diplomas in Optometry at the UG level. Doctor in medicine Optometry degree courses to the pupil. The university also provides many PG courses.
- Diploma in Optometry
- Diploma in Ophthalmic Tech
- Doctor of Medicine in Optometry
- MSc in Optometry
- B.Sc in Ophthalmic Tech
- MS in Ophthalmology
- PG Diploma in Optometry
Career prospects and Job Opportunities :
The career opportunities available to optometrists are diverse. A person may work under an Ophthalmologist in Eye Care clinics or hospitals’ ophthalmic departments.
You can also start your optical shop as a career option. There are a few other forms of self-employment such as opening a lens manufacturing business or a manufacturing facility for ophthalmic instruments.
Bachelor of Optometry Courses (BOPTOM)
|Approx Fee/Year||INR 50000-1.5 Lakhs|
A Bachelor of optometry is a highly valued and essential optometry course in our country. The bachelor of optometry is a 3-years long undergraduate program, and the duration of the academic is three years. After completing the educational program, there is a 1-year mandatory internship. Students will be declared qualified optometrists only after completing this internship program.
Eligibility For Bachelor of Optometry
- The minimum requirements to apply for this bachelor’s degree program are 12th with Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and English as major subjects and a minimum of 45% marks.
- The candidate must be over 17 years of age at the time of the start of the course.
- The admission process includes the marks obtained by the candidate, and certain universities and colleges have made their entrance tests.
- Candidates will have to pass those entrance tests to acquire admission.
BSc in Optometry
|Approx Fee/Year||INR 20,000-70,000|
BSc in optometry is also an important optometry course in our country. The duration of the BSc in optometry course is four years. It is an undergraduate program. The period of the academic is three years. After completing the academic program, students will have to pass through a 1-year internship program. Students will be declared qualified optometrists only after completing this internship program.
Eligibility For BSc in Optometry
- Minimum requirements are 12th with Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and English as major subjects and a minimum of 45% marks.
- The student’s age must be over 17 years at the time of the start of the course.
- The admission process includes the marks obtained by the candidate.
- Certain universities and colleges have made their entrance tests. Candidates have to pass those entrance tests to get admission. Certain institutions in our country offer direct admissions also.
Diploma in Optometry Courses After 12th
|Approx Fee/Year||INR 20,000-80,000|
A diploma in optometry is an exciting and career-oriented program in our country. The diploma in optometry is two years long program. In some institutions, the duration of this course is three years. A diploma in optometry is job-oriented. It makes a student able to take admission further in the Bachelor’s degree program. In this way, he can excel his career.
Eligibility For Diploma in Optometry
- The minimum requirements to apply for this bachelor’s degree program are 12th and a minimum of 45% marks.
- Although certain institutions also offer admissions after the 10th.
- The aspirant must be over 17 years of age at the time of the start of the course. Admission can be acquired based on the marks obtained by the aspirant.
Optometry Certificate Courses After 12th
|Eligibility||10th Or 10+2|
|Approx Fee||INR 10,000-50,000|
|Duration||6- 12 months|
- Certificate courses do not have a good reputation. They are not considered much important. People do not take an interest in these courses, and certificate courses do not give in-depth knowledge of the particular field. They do not fulfill the educational needs of the students.
- But one may obtain these certificate courses to start one’s career in different sectors on a lower scale. In other words, we can say that these certificate courses can help students to do part-time jobs and earn to meet their expenditures.
Eligibility For Certificate Courses in Optometry
- The duration of the certificate courses of optometry is 1 year. The required qualification for these certificate courses is 12th with 45% marks, though some institutions also offer after 10th.
- The candidate must be above the age of 17 years at the start of the course. There is no hard and fast rule to acquiring admission because many private and government institutes are offering these certificate courses.
Suggested University for Optometry Courses After 12th
|University Name||Fee (Approx.)||State|
|Maharaja Krishna Kumar Sinhji Bhavnagar University||30000||Gujarat|
|Maharaja Sayajirao University Of Baroda||30056||Gujarat|
|Manipal Academy of Higher Education||30280||Karnataka|
|MS Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences||30336||Karnataka|
Scope of Optometry Courses After 12th
- The optometry field provides excellent career opportunities. Unfortunately, people in our country do not take much interest in these courses. The dreams and needs of the people are too high, and to fulfil their dreams, they opt for other methods.
- The majority of the students does not select optometry courses after 12th. Students consider them boring. They do not take much interest in these courses. But the field of optometry has its importance and value in this present world.
- The field of optometry does not make a person doctor correctly. But it is a career-oriented field. It promises a bright future to the students. Those who have done the optometry courses have vast opportunities.
- These days a considerable number of eye clinics have been set up. They offer great job opportunities to optometrists.
- Furthermore, there are ophthalmic departments in hospitals. They also announce jobs for optometrists. Working in a hospital’s ophthalmic department is not more than a blessing for the optometrist. Government hospitals provide a good salary with other benefits.
Optometry Courses After 12th Offered Salary
- We understand that you would be waiting impatiently for the expected salary in this field. Well, the field of optometry is no doubt an exciting field.
- You can earn 20k to 50k by pursuing Optometry courses after 12th. But if you have experience of a few years, you can make more than 30k to 35k in a month.
Optometry Courses After 12th Conclusion
- To conclude, optometry courses after 12th have great value in our country. They make the future of the students bright. After completing these courses, one can achieve an excellent job in private eye clinics or government hospitals in ophthalmic departments. One can also start one’s own business in the optical shop.
- One can also do marketing of lenses and spectacles to the manufacturing units. The scope of this field is very high. It also enjoys a good reputation. We would recommend these above-mentioned job-oriented optometry courses to the students after the 12th to have a stunning future.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What is the Optometry Courses after 12th?
Ans. The prime focus of the Optometry courses after 12th is placed on the eyes’ structure, function, and care. Those who specialize in optometry are certified to examine, treat and care for eye-related disorders.
Q2. What are the degree programmes available under optometry?
Ans. B.Sc (Optometry) and B.Optom programmes are available under degree programmes. Both of these will take 4 years to be completed. For this, one will have to take the entrance test.
Q3. What are the eligibility criteria for B.Sc in Optometry?
Ans. To opt for B.Sc in Optometry, one should have passed 10+2 with at least 40% marks from a renowned board.
Q4. What are the job opportunities after completing a B.Optom degree?
Ans. B.Optom degree holders can become optometrists, ophthalmologists, medical assistants, sport vision consultants, opticians, examiners, etc.
Q5. Is there any diploma program under optometry specialization?
Ans. Diploma in Optometry and Diploma in Ophthalmic Technology are two diploma courses available under optometry.
Be the first to leave a review.